Sunday, March 4, 2012

Discovering New Things

This new year has been all about trying new things so far. We've been trying new recipes, going to new places, and I have been trying new activities. Why not? There is so much out there that there's no point in secluding yourself to what you know...that's just boring. I want to discover it all!

Trying New Activities:
I've discovered Pinterest...and I'm obsessed. I got myself an account and have been glued to it ever since.

The shooting range. I've always been kind of fearful of fire arms. Mostly because I've never handled a gun or been close enough to touch one. Pretty much the only guns I've seen were on TV. The unknown is scary. Lucky for me I've married into a heavily armed, yet knowledgeable family. They hunt on a regular basis so fire arms are no stranger to them. To break me of my fears, my husband took me to the shooting range and taught me how to use a gun. I was quite nervous but once I shot a few times, I felt more comfortable. My weapon of usage was a 22. It was light and something I could manage. My husband also had me shoot from a 9mm. That recoil was bigger than I expected but I would definitely have to practice.

Trying new recipes:
I love going online or looking in my cookbook for something new to try. Ever since last year when I discovered polenta, my eyes have been open and my stomach eager to taste new foods. Since we don't have any children, the only taste buds we have to worry about are our own. This gives us the opportunity to explore and experiment.
I've concocted things like Honey-garlic balsamic chicken with couscous, Tuna cakes and tonight I made roasted chicken with balsamic peppers. Delicious!

I've also been having more fun with baking. I was assigned to make a birthday cake for a co-worker. German Chocolate cake. This gave me the chance to practice my cake decorating skills that I gained but never use. Everyone enjoyed the cake and were impressed were my amatuer decorating skills. Today I also decided to make white chocolate truffle cupcakes. I'm excited to take them to work tomorrow.

Trying new places:
We've gone to a couple of new restaurant joints here in the Springs. A little outside of our box. Of course we only entered those places because friends invited us. Our good friends, the Nimers, invited us out to dinner a couple weeks ago to a chinese eatery that we had never been before. Their food was quite excellent, just as good if not better than P.F. Changs...probably because it is authentic chinese.

And last night I went to a hopping restaurant called Nosh. It's upscale dining that allows you to really experience the food. They have dishes that I've never heard of before, concoctions that sound odd but it's all very fresh and exquisite. It was very enjoyable...and a little pricey. But definitely a place I want to go back.


I hope to continue this expedition of experiencing new things for the rest of this year. It's a little scary, yet exhilirating.

No comments:

Post a Comment